Monday, July 16, 2007

Assault on Freedom of Speech and Academic Freedom



Taner Akcam
April 12, 2007

"... I urge us all to consider the situation very seriously. As long as we keep silence they can continue to insult and attack scholars anywhere in the world. What is happening to me now can happen to any one of us in the future if the authorities feel that they are successful.

All of us living in the USA ought to make it crystal clear to our democratically elected representatives that this country is not the Republic of Turkey. The Turkish authorities whether directly or through their grassroots agents have no right to harass scholars exercising their academic freedom of speech at American universities.

As a former prisoner of conscience I have learned in unforgettable ways the worth of such freedom, and I intend to use it at every opportunity."


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.ermenisorunu.gen.tr/english/intro/index.html

Anonymous said...

Ηellο there! I just want to offeг you a big thumbs
up foг your great іnfοгmatіοn уou've got right here on this post. I will be coming back to your website for more soon.

my site :: Read More